I'm still crocheting the Modern Chullo pattern from Hats & Scarves. Maybe a more truthful thing to say is "I haven't unraveled my project for the Modern Chullo pattern lately because I'm letting it rest."
It's not the hat. It's me.
Well, let's back up.
A couple of weeks ago, I was working on the Modern Chullo pattern and all was well. The increases were great, the gauge was good, and my colors looked fantastic.
Carrying my yarn in the back for whole rows was going fine and I really liked how this was going. Until I didn't.
You see these yarns?
The black yarn is your run-of-the-mill, regular ol' Red Heart worsted weight yarn. So is the gray yarn. The blue yarn is some little scraps of what I am guessing is Lion Bran Wool-Ease that I found in a bag of destashed yarn from a friend. It's all Category 4, worsted weight yarn and I was just using a little bit of the blue. I figured it wouldn't be that big of a difference and the stripey portion should be fine, right?
WRONG. Of course.
I didn't think to take a picture of the wrongness, but the best way I can describe the problem with using the very squishy blue yarn with the much stiffer gray yarn was that it looked like the blue stripes were being eaten by the rest of the hat. They were inconsequential blips just marring up some crocheted fabric.
That time, the problem wasn't so much me as it was the yarn I picked out. You could say that was an error in my judgement, but then I would tune you out and never speak to you again.
Either way, the end result was truly pitiful and I ripped it all out without documenting my failure. Well, I ripped back to the first two rows of gray. And then I used some red Red Heart yarn. After all, the model in the book looked great with red strips against the gray background and using the very same yarn in different colors should solve all of my problems. Right?
This time, it was all user error.
And I have no idea how it happened! I was watching what I was doing! I was awake and properly caffeinated, and with fewer distractions than I normally have! When I was crocheting, the rows looked fine. I crocheted two rows of gray after the colorwork, and was nearly finished with the whole body of the hat when really stopped to look at this mess.
It's wrong. It's spectacularly wrong.
And here's where I began and ended some rows incorrectly as well.
Sorry if the craft fail seems gratuitous at this point. Hide your pets and children. Tender eyeballs should not gaze upon this monstrosity. I'm not that fond of looking at it, either.
Which is why I have sitting in a hidden timeout. I think this is an adorable pattern and I really do want this hat for myself. But I feel a little like I'm going crazy with this project. I'm trying to figure out if I want to start the whole thing over in just one color, or if I want to try to read a chart and work with color and pay really, really close attention to every stitch and hope that the third time's the charm.
I think I'm going to let this settle a bit longer while I think on it. I hope you're much happier with your WIPs this week!
(And if you're not, then I feel your pain. I really feel you. Yikes.)