Sign Up to Receive Exclusive Email Offers:

Weekly Dishcloth: Knitting the Bee Stitch Dishcloth

I knitted the Bee Stitch dishcloth from Kitchen Bright Dishcloths!

In all honesty, I feel like I've made this before.  Probably because I did.

I tried this in variegated yarn because the picture on the cover uses variegated yarn, but it didn't look that great.

Then I tried it with some sunshiny yellow.  But I wasn't paying attention and messed up about a third of the way through.  The pattern repeat is simple, but I got a little mixed up and repeated one of my rows twice.  It was a noticeable mistake, and I did it a few times.  So I made it a third time.  Third time's the charm!

I actually almost unraveled this again when I realized that this pattern was much larger than I wanted.  The finished size is supposed to be around 8" square, but my project came out a little larger than 10".  It's not an excessively large dishcloth, but it felt way too big for some reason.  Still, it's a lovely stitch pattern.  Rows upon rows of it isn't a bad look.

If I made this again--and I probably would, after taking a little break--I would cast on thirty-one stitches instead of forty-one.  Gauge is five stitches to an inch with worsted weight cotton yarn and #7 needles.  I used #5 needles and nearly three-fourths of a skein of Sugar n' Cream.  Oh!  And I knitted two stitches together on both ends of my bind-off row after a reader left that super-helpful tip on a post about binding off so that my corners wouldn't be too pointy.  Man, that was a great comment.  I love readers' comments, especially when I get to hear about what other people are trying on their projects.  I was pretty excited to try that out, and I think it helped!

This pattern calls for knit stitches, purl stitches, and knitting into the stitch below.  I'd never tried that one before, and I liked it!  It makes a really interesting raised stitch.  I love it.

The back looks pretty good, too!

Oh, and the border is seed stitch.  Which I love

I think seed stitch makes such a pretty border and wish it was in more of the dishcloth patterns I knit.  I'm going to be looking through Kitchen Bright Dishcloths to pick out another pattern with a seed stitch border for my next knitted dishcloth.

Even if I do have to make it a few times to get it right.  I think it will be worth it.

12 thoughts on “Weekly Dishcloth: Knitting the Bee Stitch Dishcloth”

• Roberta Granada M. Bortoluzzi

Hi, I love your blog, is beauty, I love the colors, I love your crochet, visit my blog too,hugs from Brazil.http://www.titacarre.comhttp://elo7.com.br/titacarre

• Janet

I like the fact that you admit to making mistakes. Makes me chuckle to read what I go through. Very pretty dishcloth!

• Ann Hedington

Glad to know that I'm not the only one that mixes up their pattern rows! whew. My suggestion is: there's no knitting police -- use a seed stitch border on any dishcloth you want! that's the beauty of being crafty... making it our own!

• Jen

I'm telling you, the simpler the pattern the more likely I am to lose my place. And you're right: I really should be throwing a seed stitch border on more projects! I like it.

• deejay

That is such a funny blog. Really brings attention to making a gauge swatch first, and following the instructions. Reminds me when I was 18 I decided to knit me boyfriends sister a sweater. After all I knew how to knit and purl. Didn't do a gauge thingy I had the right size needles, different wool, what difference did that make. We'll, on to the knitting, hmm why do I have to take measurements. I know what she looks like, why should I measure the sleeve I had the right no. Of stitches. Time to put it together, oops ran out of wool, oh we'll I'll be artistic and use a contrasting colour. What are they talking about weave seams together, I'm going to use a running st. Needless to say it was a disaster. Couldn't figure that out. Darn pattern. Her brother married me anyway, and I went on to become a very good knitter thanks to a lovely next door neighbour Mrs. Wren who spent many hours teaching how to become a good knitter. I apologize to all young knitters out there you are a lot smarter than I was. I'm 80 years old now and have had the pleasure of teaching other knitter and helping others out of their disasters. I still love knitting and crocheting.

• Jen

Thanks! I knew your story was going to be a cautionary tale when you said you didn't work a gauge swatch, but I really cracked up at "I'm going to use a running stitch!" Oh man. It's awesome that you finally got a mentor! Learning through trial and error can be effective, but it takes a lot of time and yarn! I'm glad you stuck with knitting.

• Alice

I love Seed Stitch--dislike Garter--and use it on any dishcloth I knit other than Grandma’s Favorite. I also use it on sweater bands as it is very stable.

• Lori

I'm the opposite, I'm not a fan of seed stitch, will switch it out to garter if I can, lol.

• Jen

Ha ha, either one will hold the borders nice and flat. It might be a little tricky on this pattern because so much of the body is knit stitches, but I'm sure it would come out fine!