You know what I should be making? If you guessed "another dadgum blanket," you're so right! So what if I have a couple of other blankets that I haven't finished! I've wanted to make the Squared Afghan pattern from Learn to Crochet African Flower Motifs for a while now and last week I snapped a little and got started. I'd made a square from this once before, and I think getting the hang of it before beginning an actual project helped a lot. Once I had my colors picked out, I was all set!
I'm using an I hook and worsted weight yarn in red, teal, and yellow. I knew that skein of teal yarn from the blanket I talked about a couple of weeks ago would come in handy! I also had quite a bit of red and yellow yarn, too.
Obviously, I have already run out and I'm barely halfway through. Whoops! Afghans are big. I don't know why I forget, but I always do. This takes a lot of yarn! I bought my third skein of Caron One Pound--okay, my third skein of yellow--for this year and I might be buying more because this is my border color. And it turns out I grabbed a skein of Hot Red yarn instead of Cherry Red yarn when I was stocking up on more red yarn. And you can tell.
But I'll be using Hot Red for all of the rest of my squares, so I think it will look fine. This is not a state fair blanket, and I'm trusting that the friend I'm making it for will love the almost garishness of the bright colors. I love red and blue and yellow together, and I love that the blue is more of a teal. In case you were wondering, the model in the book looks like this:
And that's lovely. But I take everything pretty literally, and I haven't seen a lot of blue or green flowers. And this is coming from someone who has grown a ridiculous amount of zinnias. I wanted my 'flowers' to have more vibrant colors, and now that I think about it, I may have had zinnias on the brain. Those, or Gerber daisies. But something bright and beautiful for sure. And this is really fitting the bill. I've made all ten of the Square 1 squares.
And now I've made one whole whopping Square 2.
I love them! This makes a big square (about 10 inches) and this afghan is supposed to measure 44" X 55". The squares are working up fairly quickly, and I have the pattern mostly memorized. I really like the African flower motif, and I think I'm going to love how a blanket full of them looks.
And I'm halfway to finding out for sure!