"Creativity is intelligence having fun."
— Albert Einstein
Get creative with acetate and diamond dotting. Whether it's a butterfly, cactus, corgi, or a popsicle, a shadowbox is the great way to add a sparkle of personality to any home or office! Today's tutorial takes you step-by-step through creating a butterfly shadowbox worth treasuring for years to come.
Now This Is A Fly Project
Add designer touches and show off your joyful personality with Diamond Art by Leisure Arts™ and Diamond Dotz® Freestyle. Diamond dotting is not only fun and calming, it results in beautiful sparkly art. Just look at what you can do with acetate, a Diamond Art by Leisure Arts™ project, and Diamond Dotz® gems.
The Options Are Endless
Supplies And Tools:
- Diamond Dotz® Gems - Colors: 8001 , 8138, 8167, 8243
- Diamond Dotz® Accessory Pack - 2-Styluses, 2 Pick-Up Wax, 2 Trays
- Dotz® Stick Adhesive - Liquid Diamond Dotting Adhesive
- 3-Piece Dotz® Deluxe Brush Set
- 5 1/2" H x 6" W Piece of Acetate (with wood shadowbox for this project)
Many of these supplies can be found on leisurearts.com in the freestyle section.
Get Started On Your Work Of Art
- Download and print the butterfly design at 77% of original size from this pattern. Place the acetate over the butterfly design. Outline and fill within the design area on the acetate with the liquid adhesive.
- Carefully outline and fill in with the adhesive on the areas you want to apply gems to; you should see a milky white layer of adhesive on the surface. You can apply the adhesive to one section at a time or to the entire design.
- Allow the adhesive to dry until it is clear. When adhesive clears completely it is ready for long term adhesion. On non-porous surfaces such as acetate, this may take up to 3 hours. Cover the design and adhesive with a piece of protective film if you will not be applying gems right away.
- Remove the clear covering on the adhesive. Apply the gems to the adhesive as desired. When you are not working on your project, place a sheet of protective film over the adhesive to protect it from dust.
- When you have completed your project, place the protective film over the gems and firmly roll over the whole design with a brayer or rolling pin. This ensures that the gems are firmly adhered.
Craft Hacks & Tips
- The liquid adhesive allows you to add gems art to any surface.
- A bottle of liquid adhesive is enough to complete 4 full-coverage 9” x 12” artist canvases.
Estimated Crafting Time
3-5 hours plus drying time
Easy Like Butter...fly
Diamond Dotting offers both relaxation and stress relief. Diamond Art by Leisure Arts™ is powered by Diamond Dotz® and is crafted of premium materials to allow you to create a sparkling masterpiece.
Once you start creating, please share your progress to our Diamond Art Facebook Page! Or share your photos by tagging @leisureartsinc or using #leisurearts on your social channels. We love to see what's going on in your studio.
Want more DIY Diamond Art projects? Check out our other projects at DIYDiamondArtTutorials and take a look at this video for more inspiration!
-Leisure Arts Team