Family and friends on your holiday list will love and cherish gifts created with your personal touch! These must-have accessories come with your added personal touch, and will be cherished for years to come.
Drew Emborsky, aka The Crochet Dude, lays out step-by-step instructions to make crocheting the six beautiful handbags found in Must Have Handbags. All projects are rated easy, so grab those needles and crochet a purse or two for loved ones on your list!
Great Last-Minute Gifts
With more than 40 stylish hats, gloves, scarves, & more, you'll have lots of last-minute gifts to create! The Big Book Of Crochet Accessories has projects to warm and/or fancy up every part of your body, or that of a loved one! Learn new techniques and put old ones to new, exciting uses with easy-to-follow instructions.
Make Your First Shawl
Create your first stylish knit shawl with "Make Your First" Boomerang Shawls. Marly Bird guides you through every step to create 10 beautiful shawls, perfect for those on your holiday list! Choose from garter stitch, stockinette stitch, seed stitch and simply lace patterns and let the yarn do most of the work with self-striping or variegated.
Warm Their Necks & Hearts
Can you ever really have enough scarves? Each design in Beat the Chill is more fabulous than the last, and each is destined to warm your neck or that of a loved one! We’re sure of it. So grab some fancy fabric and coordinating thread and sew all nine of these beautiful designs!
New Generation Latch Hook
Latch Hook might not be the first craft that comes to mind when you think of colorful, contemporary, and cutting edge. But it offers modern creators endless possibilities combining contemporary designs with this classic craft to create this collection for a new generation.
Bend & Wrap Your Next Masterpiece
If you’ve been searching for a fun, fabulous, and affordable way to express yourself, then allow us to introduce you to Wire Crafts! With just a pair of pliers and a little craft wire, you’ll be amazed at what you can create! Brought to you by wire artist Alice Nieh, you’ll be bending, wrapping, and twisting that wire into sculptures and fancy lettering in no time.
All of these projects are sure to make whoever receives them happy, and they are sure to cherish them for years!
What are you working on for the Holidays? Share pics with us on your social channels by tagging @leisureartsinc or using #leisurearts. We love to see what's going on in your studio!
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” ―Mahatma Gandhi
Have you always to start something new and weren't sure where to start? Whether you want to learn how to crochet, how to knit, how to paint, how to tackle a new stitch, the list below gives you the basics on how to become a pro at your new creative endeavor:
Grab a how-to book with expert instruction to guide you step by step
Gather all the materials you will need. Ex: yarn, needle, paint, pen, etc.
Start small with swatches, samples, small projects, etc. before tackling the harder stuff
Practice your new skill regularly—that will help to make it almost automatic
Sit back and revel in your new creations!
In the next few paragraphs, we'll explore several of our books that come with easy-to-follow instructions and progressive projects for you to learn how to conquer new stitches, new skills, and entirely new crafts.
Great Balls of Yarn: Learn Crochet or Expand Your Skills
If you’re new to crochet or if you want to learn a new crochet skill or two, we've got you hook, yarn and fun with these easy-to-follow books! Learn how to crochet with ease and enjoyment.
The progressive projects of The Ultimate Crochet Collection for Beginners take you from easy to more difficult with easy-to-follow instructions and patterns. You'll love learning how to crochet with Marly Bird, and the resulting creations are cute AND functional!
You'll be hooked on crochet with Learn to Crochet with Custom Hooks! We'll supply you with a hook designed especially for beginners, so it will be extra easy to learn how to crochet any of the adorable accessories for kids or adults.
This eye-catching stitch will croc your world! The Beginner's Guide to Crocodile Stitch is the perfect "how-to" to add an eye-catching layer of "scales" to your crochet projects. You'll be surprised how easy it is to learn with our step-by-step instructions, photographs, and videos. On a scale (see what we did there?) of 1-10, this book is definitely a 10!
If you adore crocheting and love the look of knits, you won't want to miss out on this hybrid! Award-winning teacher Kim Guzman walks you through the basics with clear photos and friendly instructions in the Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Tunisian Crochet.
We wouldn't toy with you—your children, grandchildren, friends' children (we could go on and on), will love these toys! And with Learn to Crochet Toys, you'll be a crocheting wizard before you can say "Bodacious ballerina begs you to begin"!
Life's a Stitch: Learning Knitting is Fun and Relaxing, with Beautiful Results
Don't be at your knit's end learning a new skill. Let our pros guide you through a basketful of knitting projects with ease and joy.
Designer Marly Bird walks you every step of the way through how to knit multiple projects in the Complete Knit Collection. You'll not only create awesome gifts—or keepers—you'll gain the skills to be a knitting pro. From trendy dishcloths to a beautiful shawl or afghan, this collection has got you covered.
Not only will this book teach you everything you need to know to make several styles of hats, it includes a kit with everything you need to knit one complete hat. Get started right away without worrying about the materials. If you've been wanting to learn how to knit hats, Knit Hat Book Plus Kit is for you.
Craftastic New Hobbies That Are Easy to Learn
Fun for all levels, Modern Punch Needle takes a modern twist on the traditional needle craft. The step-by-step instructions and 14 progressively harder projects take you from beginner to pro. Once you learn the ins and outs, you'll want to check out this post featuring our newest punch needle kits.
We wouldn't macra-stray you wrong—Get Started In Macramé has 11 gorgeous wall hangings and other projects for beginners to learn how to master this craft from yesteryear. We can also help you out with the supplies you'll need.
The World IS your oyster with Hand Lettering - Great for Weddings & Other Occasions. Your creations can be just as spectacular as you see in stores, or on Pinterest and Instagram. Artist Kathryn Erney will teach you several styles—each building on the last—and before you know it, you’ll have mastered those pen strokes and will be making beautiful pieces!
So whether you want to learn how to knit, how to crochet, or learn a new craft all together, our experts take you step-by-step through the process. Whether you're a beginner or want to enhance your repertoire, at least one of these books is perfect for you. When you're finished, post your photo/s on social media and be sure to tag us @leisureartsinc or use #leisurearts, so we can all enjoy your journey as well!
Craft projects for kids have never been so adorable. In our newest kids' craft book, After-School Kids' Crafts, you'll find 12 playful projects to make memories with your favorite children! Today's Guest Blogger, Rachel Nipper, is here to share her inspiration for her colorful crafts. Welcome Rachael!
Hi there, I’m Rachel Nipper, designer of the projects and patterns in Leisure Arts’ recent publication Afterschool Kids’ Crafts. I have a passion for encouraging parents to share arts and crafts time with their children so seeing some of my projects in print for the first time gives me so much joy! Many thanks to Leisure Arts for helping bring this dream of mine to life.
After-School Kids' Crafts by Rachel Nipper
My love for creating started at a very young age. Every year the night before Easter morning my Mom would set out brown paper lunch bags, markers, stickers and other craft materials on the kitchen table and would give my siblings and I the assignment to create our own Easter baskets. At the time it never occurred to me that we did this every year because of a lack of finances. Rather, it became a tradition that I looked forward to every year. My Easter basket started out as a simple paper bag decorated with stickers and markers but as I got older my creativity blossomed into cutting paper bag strips and literally weaving them into a beautiful paper basket.
It was opportunities like this as a child that created a passion in me for the art of creating and it is something I have tried to pass along to my own children. The joy I felt while creating when I was a child is the inspiration behind the projects you’ll find in Afterschool Kids’ Crafts. I’m excited to share a few of my favorites from the book with you today.
Flower Headband in After-School Kids' Crafts by Rachel Nipper
My favorite project in the book was inspired by my beautiful daughter. She plays dress up any chance she gets so I wanted to design a project she could make with me that could be added to her dress up wardrobe and worn over and over again. I layered the felt flowers with different colors and added a contrasting colored button to make the felt headband pop with color.
Movable Head Turtle in After-School Kids' Crafts by Rachel Nipper
If you follow my kids’ crafts blog you know how much I adore making puppets. Not only do kids get a creative experience with making the puppet but it becomes something they can play with afterwards. This cute turtle puppet is a fabulous way for kids to practice sewing stitches and it also doubles as the cutest little toy, pushing the little turtle head in and out of his shell.
Butterfly Finger Puppets in After-School Kids' Crafts by Rachel Nipper
Jellyfish Finger Puppets in After-School Kids' Crafts by Rachel Nipper.
You’ll also find these adorable butterfly finger puppets and colorful jellyfish puppets inside the book.
Unicorn in After-School Kids' Crafts by Rachel Nipper
Growing up I loved having a creative space in my bedroom for me to hang up artwork and pictures. This beautiful unicorn hoop art project was designed with that in mind. Kids can practice their sewing skills and then have a finished, beautiful project to display on their wall.
Another one of my favorites from the book is this simple felt owl purse. Once children have the hang of making a simple running stitch, this darling purse is a perfect beginning sewing project. With so many different color options of felt available, kids will love getting to choose a unique look for their owl purse.
Key Chain in After-School Kids' Crafts by Rachel Nipper
There’s something extra special about receiving a gift that someone spent time creating don’t you think? This was the inspiration behind these darling wooden bead tassel keychains. My daughter loves making gifts for her best friends and these keychains are a simple and affordable homemade gift that children can enjoy making for friends, teachers and family members.
Now that you’ve had a chance to see some of the fun projects in the book, it’s time to get crafty with your kids afterschool! I hope you and your children create fond memories with the patterns and activities in After-School Kids' Crafts.
Knit gifts for all the girls on your holiday list. Give the young girls on your list the coziest and funnest of handmade, knit gifts this season. Whether she likes playing dress up and wearing jewelry, or prefers reading, you can knit the perfect gift for her this year.
1. A Sock Monkey Pillow: Knit this fun, cuddly pillow. She will love the 3-D element of the ears and hat pompom. Great for play, and great to cuddle up with at night. Challenge yourself to knit with a loom to create this fun gift found in Loom Knitting For Mommy and Me.
2. A Fun Beaded Bag: Little girls who love playing dress-up and other girly things will love this fun, fuzzy purse! It is embellished with fun beads and buttons. Perfect for holding her chapstick and other trinkets! Start knitting this little bag today with Kid's Knitted Sweaters & More.
3. A Warm, Sparkly Hat: Girls will love this colorful, sparkly scarf and hat. Perfect for heading to school on cool days or for going out on snow days! Knit it in her favorite color and she will fall in love! Find the pattern for this great gift and more in Knit Hats and Scarves For Kids.
4. Knit Characters From Her Favorite Stories: If she is always reading, then she will love these classic fairytale creatures! She can play with them alone, or listen to their stories with the included CD. Fun for the whole family! Knit her favorite characters now With Storybook Dolls To Knit.
5. Fun, Chunky Jewelry: Use your knitting skills, embroidery floss, and beads to create fun jewelry pieces for the girl on your list! She will love these fun pink shiny beads - all her friends will be jealous! Learn how to make this girly bracelet now with Beaded Bracelets To Knit.
6. A Hat With Ears: The girl on your list will love this warm knit set! She's sure to stand out and get lots of compliments on the unique earred hat. Perfect for kids who love animals! Knit this great gift now with Beginner-Friendly Knitting.
7. A Pair Of Warm, Fuzzy Slippers: These fun, fuzzy slippers will be delightfully warm on cold days. The young girl on your list will love how whimsy and cute they are! All her friends will be jealous at sleepovers. Give her these slippers with Favorites To Knit.
7. A Cute Headband: Imagine how cute the little girl on your list will look with this headband on. Knit it in her favorite color and finish it with a fun bow and beading for a hair accessory she will love to wear! Learn how to knit this great gift with Hats & More.
Use your crochet skills to make unforgettable gifts this season. The women on list will love getting a unique, handmade gift and appreciate all the time and effort you put into making it. Find the perfect gift idea today.
1. This Beautiful Starlight Afghan: Crochet the woman on your list our most popular afghan! She will love the whimsical peppermint pattern, and anticipate putting it on display every year during the holiday season! Get everything you need to start on this gift for the woman on your list with the Starlight Afghan Kit.
2. A Colorful Crochet Tote: Crochet a fun, fashionable bag for the woman on your list. She will love the bright colors and unique yarn look and the fact that it's big enough to fit all the essentials! Perfect for any occasion. Crochet this bag with Terrific Totes.
3. A Unique Handcrafted Necklace: Combine your crochet skills with beads and nylon cord to make unique jewelry pieces. The woman on your list will love this necklace! The neutral colors make it perfect to wear with almost anything! Learn how to make this great gift with Beaded Beauties To Crochet.
4. A Cute Tablet Cover: Whether the woman on your list loves to browse the internet on her tablet or curl up with an eReader, she will love this crochet tablet cover! The braided design is unlike anything she will have seen in stores. Cute, and it will keep her device safe! Start this great gift now with Bags & Backpacks.
5. A Warm, Colorful Scarf: Create the perfect gift for her while mastering the art of crocheting symmetrical scarves. The result will be a unique, cozy scarf that she will love to wear season after season! Get started on this crochet gift for women today with Mirror Image Scarves.
6. A Crochet Bath Set: Treat her to relaxation with this unique gift idea! First, crochet these cute baskets - she will love to use them as storage and decor in her bathroom! Next, fill them with fun soaps, bubble baths, or lotions to help her relax. She will love this thoughtful gift! Create these baskets now with the Big Book of Crochet.
7. A Fashionable, Cozy Cardigan: Flattering on any body type, this cardigan makes the perfect gift! Use crocodile stitches to make this unique piece that the fashionable woman on your list is sure to love. Start on this great gift idea for women now with the Crocodile Stitch Cardigan ePattern.
8. A Set Of Floral Scrubbies: These scrubbies are quick to crochet, and make great stocking stuffers or small gifts! Create this fun floral set for the woman on your list - great for a relaxing bath or for use in the kitchen. Crochet these scrubbies now with So-Cute Scrubbies. 9. A Fun Cup Cozy: This cute cozy makes a great gift to warm hearts and safeguard fingers from hot cups. The woman on your list will love accenting her cup with this cute piece each day. Crochet cute cup sleeves for the women in your life now with Cup Cozies.
10. A Floral Coin Purse: Help the woman on your list organize her purse with this cute change holder. It's the perfect small gift or stocking stuffer - Quick, easy, and practical. Crochet this cute coin purse now with Totes & Bags.
This year, don't buy a gift for the little girl in your life - make one. Use your quilting and sewing skills to make something special for her. There's something for every girl here regardless of ages or interest - whether she likes baby dolls and purses or wild animals and adventure.
1. A Three Dimensional Animal Backpack: Sew a backpack unlike anything you can find in store - she will love this fun owl bag! Great to take to school or to sleepovers! Go the extra mile by filling it with a picture book or two about owls and other woodland creatures. Get started on this gift she will love with Woodland Creatures Backpacks.
2. A Cozy, Starry Blanket: Young girls will love the bright colors and cozy fleece of this blanket! Great for throwing over the bed, taking to sleepovers, building forts, or whatever else she might get into! Sew this gift that kids will love with Fleece at Home.
3. A Kid-Friendly Purse: Little girls will love feeling like an adult when they carry this whimsical animal purse. The cross-body strap makes the bag easy to hold on to and hard to lose, and her hands will be free! Create this cute bag for the girl in your life with Crafty Critters.
4. Fun Flower Pillows: Everyone loves a bed full of pillow, and young girls are no exception! Sew these colorful flowery pillows to add to her collection - perfect for relaxing and pillow fights! Great news: You can start on this gift right now with the Flower Power ePattern!
5. A Puppy Purse: This utterly charming purse would certainly delight a little girl. Soft fur fabric makes this little "Scottie" irresistible to pet, while a rhinestone strap and collar add a fun touch of glittery elegance. Great for playing dress up! Get started on making this great gift for the little girl in your life with the ePattern.
5. A Little Doll Set: Use your sewing skills to make a fun little bed for dolls. Great for playing on the go! Choose fun patterns and colors to add your special touch and make a gift you know your little girl will love! Give her the perfect gift with Best Of Fons & Porter: Quilt Lover's Gifts.