I cannot believe that it is July and in just two days it will be Independence Day. This year is just flying by so quickly. Any who! I realized I do not own anything patriotic. So I wanted to make something that I could wear on my wrist. I used some of my beads that I got at the antique mall. I had some old red, white, and blue buttons that I thought would be prefect for this project. I didn’t use a book for this I just winged it. I think that it turned out well. Here are a couple of books that I love and inspire me by Leisure Arts Easy DIY Jewelry Book 2 and DIY Jewelry Pendants. I bought some 19 gauge wire this morning at my local hardware store that has been around since before I was born. I just love going to hardware stores. I went to get a key made and came out with a new key and a couple different gauge wires. The one thing about using regular wire is that after you use it or wear it, it oxidizes and starts to lose its shine.
The tools that I used are needle nose pliers, and wire cutters. The supplies were 6 buttons two red, two white, and two blue. I used toggle, clasp, and a few jump rings. I cute a good 5-7 inch length for both sides of the button to wrap and make an eye to join the next button or eye for the jump ring. I know that I usually use head pins but I thought I would see what the wire would look like. I like the wire. Make sure that you feel around on the end of the wire so that it doesn’t have a sharp end, or a tiny bit of an end that can get snagged on say your shorts and cannot move your arm and have to ask a stranger at the grocery store if she could unsnag you. Yes!! Yes!! This actually happened a couple weeks ago.
I recently bought a jar filled with buttons that I found at an antique mall. I have been playing with buttons the last couple of weeks. Then came the fun part I stopped off at my favorite store the ‘Container Store’ to get something to put my new beads in. But before I started the first thing that I did was to wash the buttons because I didn't know where my new buttons have been. Once they were dry I sorted them according to size and color. I might be slightly O.C.D. but that’s OK. I don’t think I need an intervention just yet!
I made two friends a Birthday Bouquet made of Button Flowers and I used some of my new buttons along with some buttons from my craft and sewing box. I found the image in Crafting with Buttons and Ribbons by Leisure Arts. I think that this book might be my favorite book that Leisure Arts has. So many cute things to make and too few hours in the day to try make them all some of the projects will have to wait to Christmas to do the button Christmas tree. But one project at a time if I start too many projects at once then they don’t get finished right away or I loose interest. I used 19 gauge wire, 2 to 4 buttons per flower stem. The tools that I used were crotchet hooks, wire cutters, and needle nose pliers. You will need some sort of vase. I tried a mason jar for a vase but I didn't like how it looked so I chose to use milk bottles for my vases.
After wrapping the buttons I thought that my flowers needed some leaves so I contemplated going and getting some green seed beads and load them up and bend them to make leaves. I decided not to do that because I thought that green leaves would be way to busy and take away from the cute buttons. So I took like 2 feet of wire and slowly started wrapping the wire around the bottom of my Boye crochet hook keeping the wraps right next to each other and leave a good couple inches on the end that will be your stem for your leaf or whatever you want to call it. When I was done wrapping I slid it off my crochet hook and with my needle nose pliers I grabbed the top and pull to whatever length that I wanted. I used my size H and K crochet hook. I always have fun playing with wire. I hope that you give them a try. Oh!! With wrapping be careful that you don’t swing the wire around and into your eye.