We’d like to issue the first of several (I hope) month long creativity challenges here at Everyday Life at Leisure! The February Challenge: Don’t wrap your gifts in boring, store-bought paper. Be creative!
Here’s an inspiration option—Aren’t these little fabric gift bags adorable? Wouldn’t they be too cute to give for Valentine’s Day (stuffed with chocolate, of course) to all your friends, co-workers, a special teacher, or your secret pal? To meet our challenge, you might try making some of these fabric gifts bags. Then share your creativity with the Leisure Arts Community on Facebook. Your design can be any size and for any occasion (St. Patrick’s, Mother’s Day, and Easter are coming up!), and use any materials except store-bought wrapping paper.
Here’s how to make our easy little treat bags:
Fabric Mini Gift Bags
• 8-1/2" x 7-1/4" fabric piece for bag
• rub-on letter
• tracing paper
• water-soluble fabric marker
• two 5" fabric squares for flower
• scalloped pinking shears
• felt scrap
• fabric glue
For all sewing, match the right sides and use a 1/4" seam allowance unless otherwise stated.
1. For each bag, press one long edge of the fabric rectangle 1/4" to the wrong side twice; hem. Matching short edges, fold the rectangle in half. Sew along the side and bottom edges; turn right side out.
2. Apply the rub-on to the clothespin.
3. Draw a 1"w x 1-3/8"h petal pattern onto tracing paper and cut out. Use the fabric marker to draw around the pattern, making 5 petals on one fabric square, leaving 1/2" between petals.
4. Matching the wrong sides, pin the squares together and sew along the drawn lines. Use pinking shears to cut out the petals 1/8" larger than the stitching lines. Cut two 1" dia. felt circles. Pleat the petal points and glue them between the felt circles. Sew the button to the flower. Glue the flower to the clothespin.
Not only are these the perfect little sacks for Valentine’s goodies, but by simply using a larger or smaller appropriately patterned fabric piece, you can customize the size of your bag to hold almost any gift for any occasion.
Plus, the flower clip is perfect for attaching anywhere! It would make even a plain paper lunch bag cute.
For this design and more, be sure to get yourself a copy Creating the Happiest of Holidays from Leisure Arts.